I was privileged to be part of Lesley Whyte Photography’s #MyAuckland VIP Day Tour on Saturday 30 September 2017.
The highlights of this tour include:
- Auckland’s beautiful wild West Coast – Murawai Beach
- On Saturday, low tide is around mid-day which affords an extra photographic opportunity of Murawai’s cave.
- Devonport – some say Auckland’s prettiest seaside village with views back to Auckland
- Wynyard Quarter – the place where the city meets the sea
- Auckland’s waterfront drive – views to Rangitoto Island
- Mt Wellington – views of the city and the islands in the Gulf
- From Mt Wellington, we experienced the sun setting over Auckland, an ideal golden hour photographic opportunity.
Landed in Auckland last night. I had the morning to myself, so decided to explore Albert Park and the Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki.
Auckland University is located next to Albert Park. It is the largest, most comprehensive and highest-ranked university in New Zealand.
From Albert Park, I explored Auckland City, starting from Khartoum Place where there is a memorial to the Women's Suffrage movement.
Muriwai Beach featuring black sand and a gannet colony on a large rock. We were there at low tide and the weather was overcast and rainy.
Had lunch at a place called The Landing at Riverhead, where Lesley spent her childhood. Best steak I have ever eaten - perfectly cooked.
Devonport is a harbourside suburb on the North Shore of Auckland, and hosts the Naval Base. It has great views of the harbour into the city.
Located just to the west of Viaduct Harbour, Wynyard Quarter has been progressively converted for residential apartments.
Mission Bay is a seaside suburb on Tamaki Drive with a nice fountain and some shops. Nearby is Bastion Point.
Sunset over the volcanic peak of Mt Wellington, overlooking the suburb of Stonefields built on the site of an old quarry.
Auckland at night is a strange city at night full of wondrous visions that I never encounter during the day.
On my last day in Auckland (Day 3), I wandered around High St and Queen St. Sad to be flying back later in the day!